MORRIS MILLER LIBRARY
The Royal Society of Tasmania (RST) Library was transferred to the University of Tasmania (UTAS) Library in 1969. Since this time the Collection has been housed at the Morris Miller Library on the Sandy Bay campus and has been managed by the UTAS Library.
Much of the Collection has been catalogued and is available via the Library’s online catalogue. More recently, most of the articles within the Society’s flagship journal, Papers & Proceedings of the Royal Society of Tasmania, have been digitised and made available to anyone via the Library’s repository. More than 3,000 RST items are now available for personal research or study. The Library also manages the distribution of the RST’s Papers & Proceedings.
The Society collected and maintained a library of books since its formation in 1844. Today it is a rich collection of early scientific and natural history books and journals, together with a diverse range of early Tasmanian family’s documents including letters, photographs, drawings, diaries and maps.
Most notable in the Collection is the oldest printed book in Tasmania – Iohannes Niders “Commentary on the Ten Commandments” printed c1470. It was given to the Royal Society in 1853.